San Domenico Map
The Dominican monks settled in Savigliano in 1267. Their convent was located at the end of via Jerusalem, a lane that connects it to the buildings of the church of Sant’Andrea, creating a series of buildings frescoed with religious scenes, in what is known as ‘picta’ architecture. The convent of San Domenico was chosen as a burial place for the noble families in Savigliano and as the tribunal for the inquisition. Inside the Capella del Rosario (chapel of the rosary) there are fragments of frescoes dated around 1636, attributable to the painter Jean Claret, and a record of the ancient splendour of the site. The building, which was damaged on several occasions and has been partially knocked down, is awaiting redevelopment and renovation.