St. Peter’s Church
St. Peter’s Church Map
Tel. 0172 712488
The Church was probably built on the remains of a Roman temple dedicated to the goddess Diana, a theory which seems to have been confirmed in 1822 when a Roman headstone from the first century AD was found there. It became a Benedictine monastery and was an important religious centre for the town, continuing to expand and receiving considerable donations from the nobility of the time, as is recorded in a document from 1028. In the fifteenth century it even became the seat of the Sabauda Univeristy, although the university only remained in Savigliano for a few years this fact reveals the cultural splendour of the town. The building underwent restoration work to restore and extend it on several occasions, the most notable being in 1599, when the architect Ercole Negri di Sanfront transformed the structure considerably. In 1822 restoration work was again carried out which lasted until 1969 with work to consolidate the inside. The most recent work on the church was in 2007 to preserve the façade.
Inside the church are precious treasures, including some canvases and sculptures kept in the side chapel, important frescoes and an exquisite altarpiece in the chancel and choir area.